Mumbai train station was originally called Victoria Terminus in honour of Queen Victoria who was the ruler at that time. In 1996, in accordance with the policy of renaming places with Indian toponyms, the station was renamed after the seventeenth-century warrior king Chhatrapati Shivaji. However, as it was known as Victoria Terminus for about a century, this name is still commonly used among the local Mumbai population.
The station was designed by architect Frederick William Stevens between 1887 and 1888. In 2004, Chhatrapati Shivaji station was included in UNESCO’s World Heritage Site list.
The Municipal Corporation of Greater Mumbai, which was built at the same time as Victoria station, is also located on the same square and today is home to the city hall.
The tallest Neri 1355 lamp posts were chosen to illuminate this special place with its large square. They are 12 metres high, with a large 2-metre high decorative cast iron base, a top with four lights with a swan neck and four Light 23 luminaires.